Saturday, October 17, 2009

More Veggies

One of the things that I read a lot when looking into weight loss methods is that I should be eating more vegetables. More color, more variety, more anything. Veggies are good for you, and you could almost certainly be eating more without damaging yourself. Go ahead, eat a carrot.

So tonight I made a dish with a lot of fresh veggies. Well, it was really only one kind of vegetable, but there were several different colors.


Yeah, I chopped these

Bell peppers are beautiful, and they are so good for you. Vitamin A, Vitamin C, lycopene--there really isn't anything they can't do.

I used about half of the peppers from the bowl up there in my Sweet, Sticky and Spicy Chicken tonight. According to my wife, this is the best dish that I make, and she said it was even better tonight because of the fresh peppers.


Finished product

It was awfully good, but I learned something slightly alarming about rice tonight that I'm not sure I'll get over. Apparently, because white rice is so refined, it turns to blood sugar very quickly and can cause an insulin spike. What that means is that our insulin level will take a dip later, making us want something with high sugar content to start the cycle all over again.

Danger.

So, long story short (too late?), I made snickerdoodles. Yes, I know. But this is a dessert blog, right? If I can't share this with you, who can I share it with?

I went with the all-butter version posted on Bridget's blog over at The Way the Cookie Crumbles. She is an amazing cook and food photographer, and I hope to be as good as her someday.

The cookies turned out flat because I haven't found the right formula for my new high-altitude home, but Bridget was definitely right about the value of replacing the shortening with butter. Soooo yummy. Take a look at her pictures, and I dare you to go three days without baking them yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bake Me Away Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template